By now, most kids have already gone back to school. It’s probably the end of the first week, and all of us should be getting into the swing of things. My kids are homeschooled, so we start up again on Monday.
However, it’s never too late to use your technology to make you a better student or help your kids stay on top of their schoolwork. The technology they use for school will be useful in the future as well.
Photo by: Tomash Devenishek
Here Are My Favorite Apps For School
- Evernote – by far one of the most used apps on my computer, iPad, or iPhone. I use Evernote for just about everything. If I need to keep a document, I put it in Evernote so that I can find it wherever I am. There are so many uses for Evernote. In fact, you could check out the book Evernote Essentials if you are thinking about using this app. It will give you tons of tips and tricks that will help you get the most out of it.
- IA Writer – I like to write my papers in a distraction free environment. Well, I don’t ever get that kind of environment at home, but at least on my computer (or IOS device) I can focus on my writing by just using this app.
- Task Manager – getting into the habit of writing down the things that are due and when they are due will benefit not only students but anyone who needs to be productive. I have found that technology has helped me not miss due dates on just about anything, because I use a task manager that will remind me when things are due. I have recently switched to OmniFocus, but before that I used Toodledo. Either of these does a great job. If you write down homework and due dates with reminders at the beginning of the semester, you’ll not be surprised when something comes up.
- Drafts – I like this app on my iPhone or iPad simply because all it does is allow me to jot down notes that I need. I can then funnel them to a number of places. I’ve written about it before, but it’s great for a student to have a simple “scratchpad” ready whenever he or she needs to write something down.
- Calendar – Obviously a calendar is important so you can know what you need to do each day. Our technology has made it so simple to keep track of our agendas, so a calendar is an incredibly useful tool. I still haven’t landed on my favorite calendar app for my iPhone, but for now I’m using the native Apple calendar that I sync to Google Calendar.
What technology do you suggest for back to school? Do you have a favorite app that competes with the ones I mentioned?